Pro-gov’t Yemeni forces claim killing of 80 Houthi fighters in southern Yemen
ADEN, Yemen, April 7 (Xinhua) — Forces loyal to Yemen’s internationally-backed government claimed the killing of about 80 Houthi fighters during intense fighting over the past 24 hours in the country’s southern part.
Ferocious battles raging in the country’s southern province of al-Dhalea resulted in the killing of some 80 fighters belonging to the Iranian-allied Houthi group, including key leaders, said the pro-government Giants Brigades in a statement.
“Key fortifications including the strategic Shadad mountain and other nearby locations were all seized following fierce battles with the Houthis in the northern parts of the province,” the statement said.
Local government military officials, however, avoided commenting on the casualties of the armed forces in the attacks.
But local tribal sources aligned with the Saudi-backed Yemeni government forces told Xinhua that dozens of soldiers were killed and injured in the ongoing battles with the Houthis.
The Houthi military authorities based in the capital Sanaa have not yet commented on the casualties in the battles.
Last week, the Houthis launched a series of intensive attacks on positions of the government forces in the northern part of al-Dhalea and managed to control key mountainous hills overlooking government-controlled areas in the province.
The areas in the north and west of al-Dhalea have been witnessing continuous fighting between government forces and Houthi fighters for nearly four years.
Yemen has been plagued by a civil war since late 2014 after Houthi rebels revolted against the internationally recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
The rebels advanced from their far northern stronghold of Saada Province toward the south, and seized control over much of the country’s north including Sanaa, thus triggering the civil war. Enditem